Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Song of the day: The Spinanes/"Kid in Candy"



The Spinanes are another great band that went unheard by far too many people. The duo --guitarist Rebecca Gates and drummer Scott Plouf, who later joined Built to Spill-- put out several excellent albums on Sub Pop in the 1990s. Over their career, the band's sound progressed from sparse & melodic punk-influenced guitar rock to lush, layered beauty (with their final album, Arches and Aisles, recorded by producer & Tortoise/Sea & Cake member John McEntire). Last night, I ran across a copy of the Spinanes' debut, Manos, in the $1 bins at Amoeba Records and picked it up; I think I'm now on my third copy. This got me on a Spinanes kick this morning in Rhapsody, the results of which (including song of the day "Kid in Candy," from the band's last album) can be heard here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home