Thursday, April 07, 2005

Song of the day: The Smashing Pumpkins/"Mayonaise (Acoustic)"

In the early and mid-1990s, I had a Smashing Pumpkins bootleg tape of an acoustic show the band performed at a Chicago Tower Records the night before Siamese Dream was released. The performances were stunning, and beautiful, and I would listen to the tape over and over as I drove up and down the east coast from my parents' home in Massachusetts to college in scenic Maryland. As these things tend to happen, a "friend" later borrowed the tape and never returned it, eventually denying I had ever lent it to him in the first place.

This week, I had a rare chance to re-live the past, with the release of Rarities and B-Sides, a digital-only compilation of rare Smashing Pumpkins material that includes an acoustic take of the song "Mayonaise." It's a highly recommended listen, like having a private concert from the moody-but-oh-so-talented Mr. Corgan.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home