Sunday, May 15, 2005

Song of the day: Belle and Sebastian/"Wrapped Up In Books"



Today's song of the day --Belle and Sebastian's "Wrapped Up In Books"-- is brought to you courtesy of Rhapsody's "Instant Playlist" feature, which offered up this song and several others that were eerily in tune with my mood tonight. I love it.

Anyway, about Belle and Sebastian: they're one of my favorite musical finds of the late 1990s. A friend introduced me to the band when the album If You're Feeling Sinister was first released in the U.S., and I quickly became a fan -- especially of the series of EPs the band released between its second and third albums.

I'm not as much a fan of their later stuff, though that could just be my failing to give it a proper listen. This song, however, is making me reconsider. It's chimy and melodic, with some great 60s-style guitar work and backing vox. Sounds like I should give Dear Catastrophe Waitress another listen. Happy Sunday.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with your initial reaction. While "Dear Catastrophe Waitress" is good stuff, it can't compare for example with "The Bowlie Weekender." (If you can get your hands on this definitely do!) I am eager to hear "Push Barman To Open Old Wounds" and I hope the Rhapsody gets it in the near future.

10:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home