Sunday, January 02, 2005

Song of the Day: +/- : "Trapped Under Ice Floes"



+/-, fronted by James Baluyut (brother of Versus singer/guitarist Richard Balayut and a longtime member of that band), has released a string of albums and EPs on TeenBeat Records over the past three years. For a long time, I gave their music short shrift after seeing what I thought was a lackluster live performance at South by Southwest in 2002.

The song "Trapped Under Ice Floes" made me reconsider. Played loud --and late-- it will burrow into your pop-addled mind and refuse to leave. I've included a shorter version of the song from the 2004 album You Are Here as well as an extended version released on the 2003 EP Holding Patterns. Over the past week, I've probably played this song 50 times.

On a related note: +/- is scheduled to play TeenBeat Records' 3-day 20th anniversary extravaganza in Washington, D.C. and Arlington, Virginia in late February. Those shows --a must see if you live in the D.C. area-- will also feature performances by a reunited Unrest and Versus. I've already bought my tickets.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home