Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Song of the day: Zwan/"Honestly"

I went through a big Smashing Pumpkins phase when I was in college, drawn in initially by the band's acid-drenched album Gish and then by their hit album Siamese Dream. I wasn't a big fan of their later stuff, however, and when the band broke up at the end of the 1990s after drug drama and interpersonal struggles, I didn't much care. Then, in 2003, Pumpkins frontman Billy Corgan emerged with the band Zwan, featuring Slint/Tortoise guitarist David Pajo, Chavez guitarist Matt Sweeney, and Smashing drummer Jimmy Chamberlain. The album marked a return to straight up hook-laden guitar-rock, and while the album came and went with somewhat of a whimper and the band broke up within a year, I liked the album Mary Star of the Sea immenseley -- especially the songs "Honestly" and "Lyric." Enjoy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home