Friday, June 17, 2005

Song of the day: Sonic Youth/"Tuff Gnarl"

While I'm a fan of noisy rock (in the vein of Built to Spill), until recently I hadn't listened much to the music of pioneering NYC band Sonic Youth. Rhapsody has more or less their entire back catalogue available, so sampling Sonic Youth's music has been easy (and fun).


My friend Hill suggested I start with their 1987 album Sister, which I did, and it's great. I now understand why seemingly every band name-checks Sonic Youth as an influence on their work. My favorite song on the album is "Tuff Gnarl," a slice of rock whose angry guitars and obscured vocals has been killing me all week. Happy Friday -- and enjoy the music.

1 Comments:

Blogger Anu said...

"Sister" is a fine record indeed, but for me, their absolute all-time best is "Evol". Check it out!

9:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home