Sunday, December 05, 2004

Song of the day: Seafood/"Pleasurehead"



Sadly, British band Seafood flew far, far under the radar in the U.S. The band's wonderful first album, Surviving the Quiet, was released first on UK indie Fierce Panda and then picked up in the U.S. by Sony. Their follow-up, When Do We Start Fighting..., was recorded by Girls vs. Boys frontman Eli Janney and released in 2002 by Nettwerk. While I loved Seafood's first album (the single "Led By Bison" is one of my favorite songs from the last 5 years), their second album landed with a thud, and aside from the song "People Are Underestimated" didn't make much of an impression with me at the time. Boy, was I wrong. This weekend I picked up a copy in the bargain CD bins at Amoeba Records in San Francisco, and for the first time heard the song "Pleasurehead." It's a slow build but well worth the time. Enjoy.

2 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Wow, what a listen! If it weren't for the fact that I could recognize the voices of the singers from track to track, I would have thought this was some sort of compilation CD. Talk about awesome variation and not being bound by any sort of formula... I especially loved "What May Be The Oldest" which is just gorgeous. Thanks for the lead!

11:46 AM  
Blogger Robert Burke said...

I like seafood too!

8:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home