Monday, January 17, 2005

Big Country: The Crossing

This weekend I was listening to the album The Crossing by 1980s Scottish band Big Country, and realized I'd sold the band short. *Really* short. I'd always liked the song "In a Big Country" but never did any exploring beyond that, and like many people, I considered them one-hit wonders. One listen to The Crossing proved me wrong; the album is chock full of should-have-been-hit singles beyond the one that actually did hit. Songs like "Angle Park" and "Inwards" wouldn't sound out of place nestled between indie rock and post-punk anthems on a mixtape.

This playlist includes my favorites from The Crossing, along with a single culled from Big Country's greatest hits compilation. This is highly recommended listening. Enjoy.

3 Comments:

Blogger mgrooves said...

big country, revisited
"Angle Park" - Big Country
"Harvest Home" - Big Country
"Inwards" - Big Country
"Fields Of Fire" - Big Country
"1,000 Stars" - Big Country
"Chance" - Big Country
"The Crossing" - Big Country
"The Teacher" - Big Country
"Porrohman" - Big Country

2:24 AM  
Blogger Robert Burke said...

I'm with you on the Big Country thing. A great band! I beleive one of them sadly died recently.

5:25 AM  
Blogger Shawn Anderson said...

Yes, sadly, frontman Stuart Adamson died in December of 2001 in his hotel in Hawaii.

They had continued touring until 2000, then Adamson's alcholism got the best of him.

Great band that deserved more then the 'one-hit wonder' category they were lumped into.

I think there's a great playlist there... 'one-hit wonder struck bands'. Besides Big Country, Dexy's Midnight Runners and Gary Numan come to mind.

4:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home